Wednesday 25 November 2009

A thought on writing stuff

I'm beginning to realise that there's very little point in planning anything. Yes, a plot needs to be worked out, but the actual writing of something is always better if I take it off the top of my head. Things occur to me in the act of writing something and pushes it forward. Dialogue is always going to be horrible if it's meticulously planned and words can't come together a week in advance.If something doesn't surprise me then it's not going to surprise the person watching or reading it. And I have to write several weekly creative writing pieces, so it helps if I don't really think about it too much. Yes, planning is bad. Although I'm not sure this is a work ethic that will translate into the wider world.

Also, I'm lazy.

2 comments:

  1. Do you ever see Curb you Enthusiasm? I know some people express dislike for Larry David's personality, but his method, of meticulously structuring the action and then having actors improvise the dialogue - with many takes - is very creative. Frequently, there are surprises with which David himself must deal and react to in character (as in the Crazy Eyes Killa episode).

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a great blog post - you some up something I often try to talk about and I ramble for hours not making much sense - you did it very quickly and, I bet, off the top of your head.

    ReplyDelete