Sunday 19 December 2010

Digging a hole through the world

Here's a link to a website that actually lets you dig through the world. Or at least find the other side. You'll be lucky if you don't end up in the sea.

This is something from a novel, working title 'I don't know what it's called'. As there's a high chance it'll take five years to write and then be thrown away for something else, I'll put a bit of it here to make it exist more. Other things are happening, like a screenplay, and shorter bits, but this'll do for now. It's about holes in the pavement - not the entire story, just this bit here.

I always struggle naming characters. Are they meant to mean something, sound like something? I don't know. So here there's James, a random name, and Boy, because he's a boy. This might change. Although it hasn't yet and I'm thousands of words in. Never mind. He can be Boy.

6 comments:

  1. Some authors use casual names to emphasize a character’s ordinariness, often to relate to the reader. Though some prefer to have a name that stands out in order to make the character more memorable. There isn’t really a right way to go about it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi there, my first visit to the blog - and you really grabbed my attention - I sat here picturing James sitting in the street trying to clear the dust from the chip in the pavement - great stuff, I'd like to read more.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Drake - I suppose so. Some authors take out names all together, which presents other problems. Interesting, though.

    Sharon - Thanks, there'll be more on the way.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Re: Naming characters -- spend a morning walking around a cemetery. Trust me; you'll be full of so many ideas.

    And if that's not even enough, you may even plan your death.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've always wondered how people name characters in their books. I'm looking forward to reading more of your posts. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like the holes in pavement with leaves sitting in them that are shaped just like the leaves....gives one pause. It's a lovely bit of writing. I was picturing Boy as a dog, thinking maybe of Calvin and Hobbes.

    ReplyDelete